Information about indian railways is the world’s fourth largest railway network. There are many interesting things about this railway network spreading in the almost 1.2 million areas which make it the most different. You may not know these things about Indian Railways, which is called the country’s Lifeline.
Information about Indian Railways
1. Indian Railways started on 16th April 1853, first train run between thane from Bombay (now Mumbai).
2. The first passenger train in India was move from Howrah to Hooghly on August 15, 1854.
3. The total length of Indian railway track is about 1,15,000 km, which is on the route of 65,000 kilometres.
4. Indian Railways runs about 11,000 trains daily, of which 7000 passenger trains are run.
5. New Delhi Railway Station is also include in the Guinness Book of Records for the world’s largest Root Relay Interlocking System.
9th largest employer in the world
6. More than 15 lakh employees work in the railway. Indian Railways is the 9th largest employer in the world.
7. There are a total of 7,500 stations in the country. The first computer base ticket reservation start in New Delhi in the year 1986.
8. Indian rail network is so big that the tracks can be encircle once upon a time.
9. India’s slowest train is Mettupalayam-Ooty Nilgiri Passenger Train. It runs at a speed of 10 kilometres per hour.
10. Today even though the toilets like plaques are being install in trains, but the facility is available very much later. Before 1909, trains did not have toilet facilities.
11. Everyday two and a half million people go from one place to another in the country. It is more than the population of many countries.
12. Indian Railways is preparing to make the world’s highest railway bridge. This bridge will be built over the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir which will be higher than the Eiffel Tower.
13. The longest railway tunnel in the country is 11.215 kilometres long. This is Pir Panjal Railway Tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir.
14. The longest platform in the world is the Gorakhpur railway station, but the longest name is Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta station in Andhra Pradesh, whose name is the longest. At the same time, the title of the smallest name is Odisha’s station IB. It is name after the IB river.
15. Indian Railways is the largest museum in New Delhi, locate in New Delhi.
16. Mascot Bholu is the elephant of the railway, which is a guard.
Long Distance Train (Information about Indian Railways)
17. Vivek Express is the longest distance train in the country. It travels from Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari for 4,273 kms.
18. Trivandrum-Nizamuddin Rajdhani Express is the only train in the country which travels 528 kilometres without any interruption.The Howrah-Amritsar Express is the highest stoppage train. There are total 115 stops in this.
19. The shortest route is between Nagpur and Ajni stations. The train travels only 3 kilometres between these two stations.
20. Navapur is the only station that is divide between two states. It is built on the border between Maharashtra and Gujarat and the two are divide in half.
21. Lucknow is the busiest station in the country. There is a movement of 64 trains daily.
22. Guwahati-Trivandrum Express is a railway train which can not be trusted at all. It runs on average for a delay of 10-12 hours.
23. India’s largest rail bridge is the Vembanad Rail Bridge, which is 4.62 kilometres long.
24. Darjeeling Himalayan Railway has been given the status of World Heritage on behalf of UNESCO.
25. The oldest still running steam engine is the Fairy Queen, which also include in the Guinness Book of World Records. In March 2000, it is also receive heritage award from Berlin’s International Tourist Bureau.